Elections Info

The European Parliamentary, Mayor of Tower Hamlets and Local Government elections will be held on May 22, 2014.

Elections 2014: Tower Hamlets Local Protocol

Tower Hamlets Labour Party has signed up to the Tower Hamlet’s local protocol formally recording the Party’s commitment to a fair election with the council.

The local protocol formally records the commitment of all signatories to ensure a fair election and, where allegations of irregularities are made, that these are investigated thoroughly, efficiently and in an agreed way. 

A copy of the protocol can be found here.

Registering to vote

How to register

You need to complete and return a voter registration form. If you require any forms in large print, Braille or other languages please contact us. Residents with learning disabilities can visit www.promotethevote.co.uk for more information about how to register, vote and the process of voting.

What happens next

When they receive your completed application form, the Electoral Service Office will process it and send you a letter of acknowledgement.

Who can register to vote

In order to be included on the Register of Electors, you must be:

  • 16 years or over (you must be at least 18 years of age to vote on polling day); and
  • a British, Irish, qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the European Union member state residing in Tower Hamlets. Download the list of eligible countries (PDF, 22kb).

How to vote

Voting in person

There are 120 polling stations in the borough. These are usually in local schools or other community buildings. You will be allocated to vote at the polling station for the address where you are registered. You cannot vote at another polling station.

You can check where your polling station is located by calling the Electoral Services Office on 020 7364 0872 or by checking the details on your poll card.

Poll card

Every registered elector will receive an Official Poll Card. The poll card shows when, where and how to vote. For electors voting in person, the poll card will also include a map showing the location of your polling station. The poll card is for information only but it will save you time if you take it to the polling station and show it to the election staff.  If you lose you poll card or forget to take to the polling station - you can still vote without it. Provided you are registered, simply give the poll clerk your name and address.

At your polling station

Polling hours for all elections are from 7am to 10pm.

On arrival at your designated polling station, the poll clerk will ask you for your name and address and will confirm your details on the register. You will then be issued with your ballot papers. The ballot paper will contain a unique identifying mark.

When you are given your ballot papers, go to one of the polling booths. Mark a cross "X" in the box on the right hand side of the ballot paper opposite the names of the candidate you wish to vote for.  Do not put any other mark on the ballot paper, or your vote may not be counted.

If you spoil your ballot paper by mistake, show it to the presiding officer or poll clerk and ask for a replacement.

Fold the marked ballot paper in half. Show the presiding officer the number and other unique identifying mark on the back of the ballot papers, but do not let anyone see your vote. Put the ballot papers in the ballot box and leave the polling station.

Voting by post

If you are unable to vote in person you can apply for a postal vote. You can request a postal application form at any time of the year. The deadline for the receipt of postal vote application form is 11 working days before the day of an election.

Anyone can have a postal vote as long as they are on the Register of Electors. To have a postal vote you must complete a postal vote application form, providing your signature and date of birth. You can request an application form by calling the Electoral Services Office or by placing a tick in the box in the Absent Vote column on your voter registration form.

Replacement postal vote packs

If you did not receive your postal pack, have lost or spoilt your ballot paper or postal voting statement, please contact the Electoral Services Office.

Please note: The elector will need to come in person to the Electoral Services Office with two forms of identification -photo ID (such as passport or driver’s license) and proof of residence (such as an utility bill).

Voting by proxy

Proxy voting enables you to appoint a person to vote on your behalf. This is especially convenient if you are overseas and if it would be difficult to return your postal vote on time. Your proxy must be eligible to vote and they cannot vote on behalf of more than two people unless they are closely related to them. Your proxy can vote on your behalf in two ways;

  • by going to your polling station 
  • by voting by post (known as postal proxy).

You may appoint someone to vote on your behalf if:

  • you are unable to go to the polling station for a particular election, for example, if you are away on holiday
  • you have a physical condition that means you cannot go to the polling station on election day
  • your employment or educational circumstance means that you cannot go to the polling station on election day
  • you are a British citizen living overseas
  • you are a crown servant or a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces. 

If you appoint a proxy, you may still vote in person, as long as your proxy hasn't already voted for you. You cannot vote in person if your proxy has already arranged to vote for you by post.

To apply for a proxy vote, you must be registered to vote. You can request an application form by calling the Electoral Services Office or click on the link to download a proxy voter application form (PDF, 15kb).

Postal proxy vote

Should your proxy wish to vote by post, please contact the Electoral Services Office for a postal proxy application form.

Emergency Proxy Vote

If you become physically incapacitated within six days of an election, you can contact the Electoral Services Office for an emergency proxy vote application. This form must be supported by a registered medical practitioner or a registered nurse. If you are in a residential home or sheltered housing, the matron, home care director or warden may support your application.

Contact Tower Hamlets Electoral Service

Electoral Services
Town Hall
Mulberry Place
5 Clove Crescent
E14 2BG

Tel: 020 7364 0872
Fax: 020 7364 3758
Email: electoralservices@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Do you like this page?

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.