At the Council’s Annual General Meeting Wednesday night councillors elected Labour’s Cllr Lesley Pavitt as the borough’s ceremonial Speaker of the Council and Tower Hamlets’ First Citizen with Cllr MA Mukit MBE elected as the new Deputy Speaker.
Cllr Pavitt took over the important role from Cllr Rajib Ahmed in a ceremony on Wednesday night. In his leaving speech Cllr Ahmed revealed he had raised over £22,000 for his three chosen charities over the year.
The Chairpersons of Council’s various committees were also announced at the meeting
- Overview and Scrutiny Committee – Cllr Motin Uz-Zaman
- Human Resources Committee – Cllr Carlo Gibbs
- General Purposes Committee – Cllr Shiria Khatun
- Licensing Committee – Cllr Carli Harper-Penman
- Development and Strategic Development Committee – Cllr Helal Abbas
- Appeals Committee – Cllr Bill Turner
- Pensions Committee – Cllr Zenith Rahman
- Audit Committee – Cllr Mizanur Chaudhury
Speaking after the ceremony the newly elected Speaker of the Council, Cllr Lesley Pavitt, said:
“It is a great honour to be elected Speaker and I am looking forward to recognising the great work of unsung legions of volunteers in Tower Hamlets.
“I am also looking forward to meeting many of our older residents, although we are a ‘young borough’ there are 50,000 elderly residents many living on their own and who also contribute to what makes Tower Hamlets a great place to live”