Dear friend and neighbour,
This is an important election. Not only does the Mayor of Tower Hamlets control an annual budget of over £1bn but every day they make decisions which directly affect our lives.
Our borough is at a crossroads. Basic services are being neglected, communities divided and too often Tower Hamlets is in headlines for all the wrong reasons. The current mayor is failing on the most basic things we expect from the council.
Since Lutfur Rahman was elected in 2010:
- Crime has risen, while it’s gone down in Newham and Hackney.
- Over 25,000 bins have gone uncollected and our streets are increasingly unclean.
- Long term youth unemployment has more than doubled with golden opportunities missed around the Olympics.
This manifesto details our priorities for the next four years if Labour is elected to run the council.
It will not be easy. The Tory-Lib Dem Government’s attacks on local Government mean there will be tough choices to take.
Now more than ever we need a Mayor who is committed to openness and transparency, listening to the views of local people and working in partnership.
In spite of these challenges, we also have great opportunities. Tower Hamlets is a place to which many come wanting to achieve their dreams. For a remarkable number this happens. Our job, if elected, is to help to provide the foundations and support for this to continue and grow.
The pledges in this manifesto set out our vision of how we can achieve this. Things like:
- A new 24h anti-social behaviour line to help tackle crime
- Clamping down on missed bin collections
- Free School Meals for all primary school pupils
- Working towards building 1,000 new Council homes
- Urgently tackling the lack of school places
Working closely with community, business and faith groups we want to make ours an open borough that we can all be proud of drawing on the unique strengths of our diversity and cultural heritage. We will not tolerate those who try to divide us.
Please consider the proposals detailed in our full manifesto here.
We hope you choose to support our strong and united team of council candidates and vote Labour for a strong, honest and fair Mayor on May 22nd.